
.

So I first heard of Catherine Wheel back in highschool. Much to my mother's disapproval I would stay up late every Sunday night to catch every beautiful moment of what was good tv, MTV's 120 Minutes. Some band named Catherine Wheel had just released a new album that year (1993) by the title "Chrome". MTV was playing the video for the third track "Crank" and for some reason I knew it was going to be good. So, as I did with other major video watching milestones (such as video's for "Prison Sex"-Tool, "Heart Shaped Box"-Nirvana, "Tomorrow"-Morrissey, Helmet) I didn't breath until the video was over. It was that amazing to me. From the first 20-30 seconds of pinging melodic and raw guitar I knew that there was something deeper about this band. And then Rob Dickinson's voice peeks through the guitar to dive into a sweet innocent loathful verse.....sigh. I read in some guy's album review where he said that Rob's voice sounded like he had just smoked ten cigarettes made of honey.....I think he got that one right. Weeks later 120 minutes started playing track 8 "the Nude". What an amazingly beautiful song. Everytime I hear it, I go back to a day when I had my first real-passionate kiss....the one's you daydream about....... It's one of those songs that makes me just want to be beside someone, napping on linen sheets, windows open, fan turning, and the smell of mint and the person I love enveloping us. Yeah, I'm a sap...... It wasn't until a few years ago that I starting seeking out Catherine Wheel again-and finally starting buying the music I remembered back in highschool. I think it was all life's timing because I don't think I would've gotten the lyrics as I do now.....after living, sinning, seeking, feeling....... I really relate to the album now....in this "limbo" of sorts....feeling 'less than' less than perfect.....dealing with the sinful self and the clear-eyed innocent girl in me trying to battle it out.........
I will definitely say that this album is in my top ten favorites. I love every song on the album but the ones that get me are "Crank", "Pain", "The Nude", "Ursa Major Space Station", and "Fripp".
some verses:
Love my superstitious games
Running circles round my brain when I'm left
smiling
I love to steal this living steam
My head in someone's dream
I'm tired of sleeping
Call me crank, my idea
Crank, so super
Crank, my conscience clear
-"Crank"
You're making me doubt myself
This feeling I know so well
Feeling of naked lust
This feeling I love so much
Far deep, phantom seeking oh you are
The nude that broke my heart, the nude that broke my heart
Phantom breathing oh you are
The nude that broke my heart The nude that broke my heart
Upon the wall, the life is drawn
love is lost, the truth will fall
The sinking ship, the sinking soul
The final fear The picture on the wall
-"The Nude"
I'd follow you through time
'Til it's not worth living
And if somewhere there's a sign
That I just don't know Then I just won't show you
Let's take a rocket ship to Mars
And anchor off the satellite for lonely hearts
Such a special place In outer space...
-"Ursa Major Space Station"
On the sheets and pillow case
In my bed for heaven's sake
The devil's dancing until late in my head there
But I could sleep with you there I could sleep with you there
Always Always
-"Fripp"
1 comment:
i always heard about "120 minutes" while it existed but could never stay up late...so i didn't even get to see any of it until last year, because cleve taped lots of the "best of" specials...and catherine wheel were on there (live) doing "judy staring at the sun" and i believe "waydown"...i know i saw the video for "show me mary" which is my favorite song on there...if you have access to digital cable, there's a channel-vh1 classic- that has this show every wednesday, thursday, and sunday night at 10:00 called "the alternative" that shows a lot of 80's and early-mid 90's videos...they show a lot of crap but at least they throw some rare gems in there like joy divison videos!...ah, but thanks to 120 minutes i became instantly infatuated with louise post of veruca salt and the rest is history...
Post a Comment